Sunil Gavaskar had first stepped on the cricket ground at Port of Spain in his Indian Jersey, On 6 March 1971 precisely 50 years prior. Unfaltering by West Indies playing on their home ground with stars like Gary Sobers, Rohan Kanhai, Clive Lloyd, Roy Fredericks, Vanburn Holder, and a few others, Gavaskar’s accomplishment made it feasible for India to enlist their first arrangement win against the hosts. In 25 prior tests, India had never figured out how to win a test match against the incredible group.
Gavaskar’s accomplishment flagged an adjustment in the attitude of Indian cricketers. The conviction that his accomplishment surrendered the group appeared in the game and how India to combat the resistance, frequently in the lion’s face. Given the concession that sportspersons were paid at that point, his accomplishments shot him into India’s first games genius, opening up promising circumstances for supports.
- He has scored the most runs in a series (774) against West Indies.
- He has the maximum no. of runs & centuries scored by a player against the West Indies 2,749 runs & 13 centuries.
- He was named one of the Wisden cricketers of the year in 1980.
- He is the only cricketer with a 58-century partnership with 18 different players.
- He has the highest runs (774) maker by a debutant.
He received a memento for his heroic services to Indian Cricket from the last 50 Years. This facilitation happened at Narendra Modi Stadium today, on the occasion of the IND vs ENG 4th Test.